Canvas Backgrounds




These are canvases I painted today although the photographs aren't that great....the sun was going down when I took the pictures so I waited too long. I will take new pictures tomorrow.

Background 1 (the bottom image) was done using Golden's Yellow Ochre and Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold with a paintbrush. I am not done layering yet so the next layer I will most likely be a cool color such as blue.

Background 2 was done on a canvas board which I had gessoed first. I then applied a glaze of yellow ochre (Golden) and then spot colored using Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. Then I added with a baby wipe touches of Turquois (Phthalo) and Quinacridone Magenta. I added darker touches of color with a paintbrush which I then patted with a baby wipe. I save all of these baby wipes as they can be incorporated into other artwork.

Background 3 (top image) was done on a stretched canvas. I had used this canvas before but did not like the way it turned out. The texture was achieved with molding paste on which I used dry wall tape. I had also applied some vellum using gel medium which immediately buckled giving another great texture. Before painting, I applied two layers of white gesso. Once the gesso dried, I applied a mix of acrylic glazing liquid and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide as the base of the painting which I then highlighted with Quin Nickel Azo Gold. I then used a baby wipe to add touches of Cobalt Teal and Dioxazine Purple all over the canvases.

0 comments: